Re: [Xen-users] Longtime *nix user/admin planning on making the move to Xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 16:03:50 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 22:04:59 +0000

Hi.

El 31/10/12 11:18, Braindead escribió:
My first thought was to make my life simple and go with the XCP
(Maybe some Xen developer will read this and even wish to do corrections. In any case, this is a feedback.)

In my own very personal perception, XCP is a nice system to be integrated into an ecosystem, where you have multiple nodes that come and go, orchestration solution, maybe centralized storage, etc. In the other hand, when it's about a single (or few) host system with local storage, administrated by the same person who is the principal user, a regular Linux distribution with Xen is more suitable.

They say SuSE, as distribution, is a good starting point, since they are very involved in Xen development. Personally, my distribution of choice has been Debian, which has been working marvelously as Dom0 and as DomU in many roles. The package xen-tools has everything needed to get started and do proof-of-concept tests.

I'm planning on moving a mythtv backend into a domU, so I'll need to
compile kernel support for the pcHDTV HD-5500 tuner card. Which I
suspect means custom kernel build anyway? Presumably I can use the
PCI passthrough feature to make the domU system see the 5500..hopefully.
Make sure your hardware has IOMMU support, which is needed for for PCI Passthrough. The custom kernel is not a problem at all. The most regular way to boot a PV guest (at least in Debian) is taking the kernel imiage and initrd form the Dom0 system, but you can install any (xen enabled) kernel within a DomU and boot it using pygrub or something similar.

The obvious advice would be to keep Dom0 as clean as possible, moving services and applications to DomUs. Customize (and keep reference of) the xen-tools configs and templates, so you can get a very reproducible results each time you do a new deploy.

I always install early a cache/proxy server to use as distribution repository ("approx" for Debian or Ubuntu), so when I deploy a new VM with xen-create-image using debootstrap, it comes out fast and fresh.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov