Re: [Xen-users] how to enable dom0 and domu share same physical network...

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:39:35 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:40:48 +0000

Hello.

El 28/11/12 15:08, RabidCicada escribió:
Or you let the bridge-Utils do that.
Do you mean Xen's network scripts? They are supposed to manage that, but have proven to do a not so great job. Mainly because of cross-distribution issues, as far as I know.

The general recommendation is to create the needed bridges by your distribution's means, and then tell Xen which bridge to use in what case. Very stable, very predictable, very flexible.

This threads might help to figure out how to set up the bridging networks:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2012-10/msg00071.html
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2012-09/msg00164.html

For reference about Xen's networking model, I would recommend Xen's wiki:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking (nicer pictures)
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Networking (more recent)

Also...I've found you typically need to reboot the Dom0 after setting up
the bridge stuff with Xend/BridgeUtils.  It seems there is something
fishy with it sometimes.
I can believe that. That is one fo the reasons for a recommendation to manage bridges somehow else, no via Xen's scripts.

In any case, definitely it's good idea to reboot your system as part of your normal pre-production tests, in order to make sure whatever configuration you have made is persistent.

While doing tests, the bridging setup is perfectly manageable on the fly. Sometimes, it VLANs and some buggy switch (hello, Trendnet) are involved, it's good idea to reset the network port.

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov