Re: [Xen-users] Which rev of Xen should I compile?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: ShadesOfGrey <shades_of_grey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 08:22:48 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 13:24:27 +0000

On 12/01/2012 07:22 PM, ShadesOfGrey wrote:
After some delays, incl. hurricane Sandy, hardware issues (problem with a PSU), and a broken filling; I finally built the hardware for the virtualization rig I sought advice for here in September.

The software on the other hand is giving me fits.  After getting the Dom0 and Xen up and running, I fubared my install of 4.3-unstable rev. 29163.  Instead of trying to figure out what I broke, I've decided to do a full re-install.  This time however, I want to start with something a little more stable.  I could go with rev. 25777 as Casey DeLorme recommended in his tutorialBut with the number of revisions since, there are patches that would probably be beneficial.  Perhaps, I could start with
25824 (or 25825) as it is the latest release candidate?  Unless, that is, there are other revisions that Xen list members believe offer critical improvements?

I'm also looking for a template xl.cfg file for a 'working' PVHVM Linux (preferably Debian) DomU.  Before I borked Xen, I had only just gotten a Debian based DomU created without xl throwing errors.  Unfortunately, it remained in a blocked state and I wasn't sure what was going on or even what to expect.  In a nut shell, the cfg file I cobbled together came from various disparate sources on the Web.  I had/have no idea what was suppose to happen once the VM was/is created.  Did I initially need to connect to the VM via VNC/SPICE in order to complete the OS install?  Was I suppose to boot into a paravirtualized graphics adapter à la VirtualBox?  Or did I need to passthrough the integrated GPU inorder to actually see anything on my systems monitor at all?  I just didn't know.  How, exactly, is a PVHVM Linux DomU actually supposed to behave?

FYI, I haven't gotten the chance to try setting up a Windows HVM yet.  I wanted to get my primary OS up and running first.

Oops
.  I 'forgot' 4.2.0 had been released and overlooked that rev. 25826 on the mercurial repository had branched.  There are enough references to 4.2.0 that I can't see how I managed to do that.  I suppose that's what happens when you step away for two months.  I was so wrapped up in obtaining, building and troubleshooting the hardware, I let my attention to software side of things slip.  When I re-install, I'll see about tracking Xen 4.2.0 from Debian unstable/experimental.

I also want to clarify my confusion concerning the Linux PVHM I created.  At the time of my original post, I was pretty frazzled. As a result, I left out a key piece of information.  I was thinking I could/should use an emulated VGA device for two reasons.  First, to insure the VM reaches a running state, before attempting to passthrough my CPU's IGP.  Second, I could see situations where I might want/need to run two PVHVMs using the same physical graphics adapter (though perhaps nested virtualization would be a better solution?).  If I understand correctly, the only way this could be achieved is if both were using an emulated graphics adapter.

What I wasn't sure of is if I had configured the emulated device correctly, or how I was supposed to connect to it.  I did find out how to use xl to connect to a PV or serial console after my OP though...  Fat lot of good it did me after screwing up Xen.  Anyway, if someone could enlighten me on how emulated VGA works, I'd appreciate it.