[Xen-users] Xen dom0 load affecting domUs

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Riyan S <tesla.coil@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 23:54:25 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 18:25:21 +0000

Hello folks,

I have a Xen server running on Centos 6.2 with 3.6.6-1.el6xen.x86_64 as the Dom0 kernel, and i  have dedicted 2 CPUs and 4G ram for the Dom0.I have close to 4-5 Virtual machines running on the Xen server.

The problem is that for some reason,carrying outany CPU/Disk intensive task on the Dom0 seems to be affecting the DomUs adversly.For ex.i noticed that my Domus become extremly sluggish if i use a 'dd' command to create  a 80G file on the Dom0,is this behaviour normal ? I guess,may be i should use a Sparse file instead ?

So if i have more VMs,do i need to allocate more resources for the Dom0 in terms of memory and cpu ? As of now all the VMs use a loopback device in the Dom0 .

Thanks !!