Re: [Xen-users] How to optimize pre-copy algorithm of xen to minimize downtime?

The authors of "High Performance Virtual Machine Migration with RDMA
over Modern Interconnects"  also did some changes to the pre-copy
mechanism. It's at
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.73.8714&rep=rep1&type=pdf
There was two things they did, change something that makes it more
efficient in the transfer ordering (don't remember) and also bandwidth
throttling.

As *lol* almost normal for research about speeding up stuff, the
authors did not bother to give a link to the sources for what they
changed.
Anyway, if you need to dive into the topic. it's relevant reading. No
matter if you use RDMA.

HTH,
Florian

2012/12/12 Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> there was a list of issues with migration performance published at
> http://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/vm-live-migration-speedup-in-xen - not
> sure this helps.
>
> Otherwise, you really need to start looking at the code, run bechnmarks,
> profile, etc. There are some tools you can look at to help you, e.g.,
> 1) http://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/5-xs-asia11gdunlapxenalyze
> 2) http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Category:Performance - there some articles on
> how to profile, collect data, etc. in this category
>
> Regards
> Lars
>

> On 11/12/2012 14:40, Ian Campbell wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 14:32 +0000, digvijay chauhan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>           If I want to optimize the performance of precopy algorithm so
>>> that live migration of virtual machine using xen occurs with minimum
>>> downtime,then how to do it?
>>
>> Perhaps start by analysing the code and seeing if you can spot some
>> inefficiency which you can address?
>>
>> I also recommend you talk to your course advisor and get their input.
>>
>> Ian.

the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and
copied by the kvm devs.