[Xen-users] Accessing individual partitions of a HVM guest

Hi,

I need to do some p2v migration of a very old SuSE server.
Unfortunately, the kernel of that machine doesn't support running as xen
domU, so I need to put the machine into a HVM domU.

When I set up the domU with

   disk = ['phy:/dev/vg_guest/worker1_disk,sda1,w']

then the domU doesn't boot because it says that no OS was found on the HDD.

Of course I could set up the domU with

   disk = ['phy:/dev/vg_guest/worker1_disk,sda,w']

but then how can I access the individual partitions of the domU's
/dev/sda from the dom0?

I believe I need to do this because I need to somehow rsync the
machine's data to the new host, and I thought that this would be done by
calling rsync from the dom0 and writing to the target partition.
However, how do I set up this target disk?

I'm at a loss here -- your help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Andreas.