Re: [Xen-users] XCP Question

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The XCP platform installed without a GUI environment so connecting
> from localhost would involve adding a large number of software
> packages.
[...]

I didn't suggest you connect from localhost.

Sorry, misled by my limited understanding of SSH.

> Thanks for the suggestions so far, and please keep me posted if anyone
> comes across a solution for opening up VNC to the outside.

Did you read the link I provided? It describes how to tunnel the VNC
port to another machine using SSH (so no GUI or anything on the XCP
host). Likewise vncproxy proxies the VNC port from your XCP machine to
another one.

Forgive me, I had read that page before but did not understand the SSH command examples and since they contained 127.0.0.1 my immediate assumption was they are doing something on the localhost.

Can you clarify this for me? ÂIf I run the following command (adjusting the port to match the dom-id off the 5900 range) from the machine I want to connect from it opens and forwards traffic from the XCP Server to the machine I am using?

ssh -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5901 user@xcpserver-ip

As for the VNC Proxy am I to understand it is a package? ÂI had never heard of it before and the wording "Xen VNC Proxy" led me to believe it was a configuration option or utility that came with Xen and I had not found it yet.

Thanks again, please let me know if I got that right. ÂI will give both a try when I can access the system again.