Re: [Xen-users] Unable to boot Guest Domain

Hello,

pleas try file:/path/to/your/image instead of tap:aio:

Best Regards

2013/1/18 Paul Stimpson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi,

On 18/01/13 06:03, Yathindra wrote:
My configuration looks like this -

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img"

I think this may be the problem... The conf file is parsed on the host so these files refer to files of that name on the host. It takes a bit of getting your head round but the conf file is read in "host world", the guest sees raw devices and never knows the file or device name in the conf file. You appear to be booting the guest with the host's vmlinuz and initrd.

memory = 192
name = "guest3"
vif = [ ' ' ]
disk = ['tap:aio:/local/sda4/guest-space/UbuntuXen.img,xvda1,w', 'tap:aio:/local/sda4/guest-space/UbuntuXen.swap,xvda2,w']
root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"

Likewise... This file is on the host and (as the host isn't running in a VM) it has real discs not Xen ones.

#disk = ['phy:/local/sda4/guest-space/UbuntuXen.img,sda1,w', 'phy:/local/sda4/guest-space/UbuntuXen.swap,sda2,w']
#root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
#disk = ['phy:/local/sda4/guest-space/UbuntuXen.img,xvda1,w', 'phy:/local/sda4/guest-space/UbuntuXen.swap,xvda2,w']
#root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"
extra = 'xencons=tty'

As you can see, I have tried both /dev/sda and /dev/xvda but none of them helped.

I think putting /dev/sda1 in that file could cause major breakage to the machine as you would most likely be double mounting the host's boot drive on the guest and, as most filesystems aren't designed with being mounted read/write on multiple machines at once in mind, you could corrupt sda1 on the host.

On my install, we created an LVM and partitioned it into slices. The first is the host's drive and the others are drive containers for the guests.

The conf file for my Linux guest contains:

name = "LinuxGuest1"
memory = 256
disk = ['phy:/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol04,xvda,w']
vif = ['bridge=xenbr0,ip=192.168.10.10']
bootloader="pygrub"
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vnclisten=0.0.0.0,vncunused=1,vncpasswd=REDACTED' ]
vnc=1

In my install: The LVM volume group "VolGroup00" covers the whole of the host's primary HD and the LVM logical volume "LogVol04" is part of it. LogVol04 is a raw container that holds the guest's partition. The disk line maps it onto the guest's /dev/xvda and declares it as writeable.

 You don't have to use LVM. You could make a partition on the host's sda, say "sda6" and pass that to the guest ('phy:/dev/sda6,xvda,w') but, you must make sure that the partition is never mounted on the host while the guest is running.

Good luck,
Paul.