Re: [Xen-users] iscsi on xen

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Simon Hobson" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 8:30:56 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:31:44 +0000

Eric wrote:
> I think that Jacek is asking whether to:

> 1. export the logical volumes (i.e., LV's) from his LVM volume group (VG)
> as individual iSCSI LUN's or to
> 2. export the underlying partitions and then import them to his host
> system as physical volumes (PV's) and then parition create the VG and
> the LV's on the host system.

Indeed.
But there is no correct answer - it depends on various factors, not least your
requirements and how you run your systems.

If you have one host, and no requirement to move any guests around, then
mounting one iSCSI volume in the host and putting LVM on top of that will be
the easiest way to go.

If you have multiple hosts and expect to need to move guests around, then one
iSCSI volume/guest or one iSCSI volume/guest volume is the way to go.
Alternatively, you either have to move guests by physically shutting it down
and copying it's files (which has disk space management issues), or you have to
run a clustered LVM on top of your single iSCSI volume.

The scripts mentioned by Carlos are designed to automate some of the headache
of managing large numbers of iSCSI volumes - ie make option 2 easier to manage.