Re: [Xen-users] Why did RHEL drop Xen support?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:50:58 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:51:56 +0000

Hi,

I can't speak for RedHat, but the reasons at the time appeared to have been mainly technical, with the main reason being the fact that Xen support was not upstreamed into the Linux Kernel at the time (hardware, porting costs, etc. all follow from this). Whether the size of codebase was a reason is actually debatable: it depends on how you define KVM and Xen and measure size (e.g. do the Xen codebase contains testcode and toolstacks, the KVM codebase doesn't - KVM user components depend heavily on QEMU, which is quite a sizeable codebase - etc.). Of course since then, RedHat has heavily invested in KVM. The primary technical reasons why RedHat may have done this, by now have gone away.

Besides building Xen from source, increasing momentum to bring Xen back into the RedHat world is actually pioneered by a number of Xen and CentOS community members. For example, see https://fosdem.org/2013/schedule/event/xen_centos6/ ... I will leave things at this, as I don't want to take away their thunder in the coming weeks when this project starts to become more public. I would expect that there also will be follow-up projects for CentOS 7, etc.

Lars