Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.2.1. BSOD in Windows guests with VGA passthrough

On Wednesday 30 January 2013 10:35:40 Casey DeLorme wrote:

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:47 PM, ÐÐÑÐÐÐÐÐ ÐÐÑÐÐÐ <borodkin.sergey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I configured xen with enabled passthrough primary VGA card (Intel Integrated
grafphic controller HD 3000) and audio controller (Intel HD audio) to hvm
guest.
I also installed GPLPV drivers to improve performance.
And it works for Windows XP (x86) and Windows 7 (x86_64).

But I get a BSOD, when I try to load a disk or network subsystem or start
Windows 7 performance test.
Steps to reproduce
1) enable PCI passthrough and pass primary VGA card
2) Try to copy a large file (3G for example) over the network into guest. ( or
try to install large application)
Symptoms:
1) A graphical artifacts appears
2) Then comes the BSOD and each time with different messages.

If VGA passthrough is off, there is no such problems.

Any ideas?

If this error only occurs during large network transfers have you tried without GPLPV Drivers, or more specifically a non-PVHVM network adapter?

Probably unrelated, but why did you force HPET off?

Per Man Pages "Enables or disables HPET (High Precision Event Timer). This option is enabled by default and you should usually omit it. It may be necessary to disable the HPET in order to improve compatibility with guest Operating Systems (X86 only)".Â

My xl info in xl_info.txt in attachment.

My xl dmesg in xl_dmesg.txt in attachment.

Domain 0 kernel configuraton in dom0.config.

Guest cfg is xl_hvm.cfg in attachment.
By the way /dev/mapper/oxen0 is opened LUKS partition

Can you supply your error logs (/var/logs/xen/), they might be helpful in determining the cause of the crash.

Thank you.

Hello? thank you for answer.

>If this error only occurs during large network transfers have you tried >without GPLPV Drivers, or more specifically a non-PVHVM network adapter?

It seems that this problem depends only on gfx_passthru=1 and VGA passthrough.

Everything works without problem if I remove VGA device from pci passthrough and set gfx_passthru=0.

>Probably unrelated, but why did you force HPET off?

If disabled HPET according to "...It may be necessary to disable the HPET in order to improve compatibility with guest Operating Systems (X86 only)".

It seems that it does not matter.

>Can you supply your error logs (/var/logs/xen/), they might be helpful in >determining the cause of the crash.

Log in attachment.

1) I downloaded JRE 6 for Windows without problem.

2) BSOD with MEMORY_MANAGMENT appeared during jre instalation.