Re: [Xen-users] XENBUS: Timeout connecting to device: device/vbd/51712 (local state 3, remote state 1)

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 03:53 +0000, Stephen Kent wrote:
> It turns out /dev/xvda is the wrong type of disk specifier, just using
> "xvda" is correct instead.
>

> However, I'm still having issues attaching my virtual disks. If I
> manually run losetup /dev/loop1 /home/data/xen/megatron/root.img, and
> then attach phy:/dev/loop1 in my dom0, /dev/xvda appears and I can
> mount it. But, if I try to boot my domU with phy:/dev/loop1 instead of
> the file path, it just enters a reboot loop. On my dom0, when I try to
> xl block-attach the file directly (without a loop device), the command
> appears to succeed and xl block-list shows the device, but /dev/xvda
> is not created and nothing about xvda shows up in dmesg.
>

> It seems like the file backend driver in my dom0 is broken. Does this
> make sense to anyone?

Do you know which backend is being used?

If you look in Xenstore you should see nodes for the front and backend
devices, please can you post those along with your full guest
configuration. The complete guest dmesg might be useful as well.

However you may want to switch back to file:// and debug that instead
since phy:/dev/loop will use a different backend and isn't generally
considered a safe configuration and didn't appear to be what you wanted
in the first place anyway.

>         On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Stephen Kent
>         <smkent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>                 I checked, PCI is enabled in both my dom0 and domU
>                 kernels. I've enabled all the Xen drivers I can find
>                 (including the block device frontend and backend
>                 drivers).

FWIW PCI is complete irrelevant to devices in a PV guest.

Ian.