Re: [Xen-users] Using Ipv4 and IPv6 Subnet

Thore wrote:
>I have a problem/question for understanding.
>I have on my server (debian wheezy) 3 virtual systems running on xen
>with own IPv4 addresses.
>Form my hoster I got an IPv6 subnet, but I don't really know how to add it.
>Is it enought to add an address of it in the /etc/network/interfaces of
>the virtual systems?
>Or must I set up routing for Xen and how does it works together with
>bridging?
>Which settings I had to change?
>And am I able to set up an system only with Ipv6?
>(I have IPv6)

These are mostly not really Xen questions, more a general networking issue.

The first question is, how does the hoster present your networking ? And how is
your Xen networking set up ?

If (for example) your hoster presents you an ethernet cable, with your own IP
range and a gateway address for their router; and you are using bridging on
Xen; then it will simply be a case of configuring an IPv6 address on each box.
Configuring IPv6 can be done several ways, and that depends on how the routers
are configured. At it's simplest, the router(s) will advertise themselves and
your devices can self-assign an address - auto configuration which should "just
work". For hosting, you probably want to manually configure IPv6 addresses so
they are fixed.