Re: [Xen-users] "dynamic memory allocation" for windows guests?

On 2013-02-10 14:00:32 Mike McClurg wrote:
> [...]
>
> DMC allows you to change the memory targets of the guest while the guest
> is running, not just before the guest boots. It allows you to
> "overprovision" your system, so that the maximum amount of memory
> allocated to guests is greater than the total amount of physical memory
> on the system.
>
> It does not dynamically change memory targets based on memory pressure
> in the guest (as mentioned in the DMC FAQ I referenced above). You'll
> probably have to roll your own custom solution for this.
>
> If you would like to demo XCP without committing a physical box, you can
> run XCP inside a VM (it works on VirtualBox, Xen, and VMWare Player).
> Unfortunately, you can't run HVM guests inside a virtual XCP like this,
> only PV guests, so you won't be able to boot Windows guests inside your
> nested XCP system.

All right, thx for confirming.
So it's not exactly what we want to do.

Am I the only one who thinks it would be useful to change memory targets
according to actual guest requirements, or is my naive approach just not
feasible in practice? I'd rather refrain from creating our own solution if it
already failed before...

- peter.