Re: [Xen-users] Hypervisor-mode(Intel VT-x) and HVM

On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 08:08 +0000, Andrew Son wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I confused with hypervisor-mode(Intel VT-x) and HVM.
> Does only HVM guest use hypervisor-mode?
> PV guest does not use Intel VT-x.

Correct, at the moment only HVM guests use the hardware virtualisatiopn
extensions.

However work is underway to enable a new PV mode called PVH which will
enable PV guests to also take advantage of hardware when appropriate.
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2012/09/21/xensummit-sessions-new-pvh-virtualisation-mode-for-arm-cortex-a15arm-servers-and-x86/

An initial version of PVH ought to be available in the forthcoming 4.3
release.

Ian.