Re: [Xen-users] VGA passthrough radeon 4850 as primary card

Sounds like some wiki editing was needed.... So I added a note "Remember
to install the graphics drivers in the DomU first, before expecting
secondary passthrough to work." to these 2 pages:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_Tested_Adapters
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough#Using_Xen_VGA_graphics_passthru

This page http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/SecondaryGPUPassthrough already said
"After you have a defined stable DomU, enable the "pci" in the DomU
config and install the necessary drivers. "
but that's confusing, saying to add pci, then install drivers, so I
added "Secondary passthrough may not work before installing the graphics
driver."

And on a side note, I have found people trying to get primary
passthrough to work anyway, because Linux DomUs don't work very well
with secondary passthrough. You will see the video from the monitor
plugged into the GPU, but 3d things won't work in X.

ps. I found win8 to work without installing drivers first. One time it
even worked in the CD installer... to my surprise, duplicating the
output to both VNC and the monitor.

On 2013-02-28 10:14, povder wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll give up the idea of passing
> through Radeon VGA as primary card. I was trying to pass through it as
> primary because I couldn't get it to work as secondary because I
> wasn't using catalyst drivers - now it's working with catalyst drivers
> :)
>
> I have another problem now, but it's probably not xen related. When I
> run glxinfo I get:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no
> such operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  139 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  66 ()
>   Serial number of failed request:  13

Peter Maloney
Brockmann Consult