Re: [Xen-users] Making VGA passthrough work

Hi Paul,

The lspci will always list the hardware even once passed to pciback, it still exists in Dom0 but its drivers should no longer be loaded.

Assuming you are using the xl toolstack with 4.2, have you tried running `xl pci-assignable-list`? ÂDoes it print the devices you passed to pciback?

If not then your pciback module is not working at boot time. ÂIf you want it working at boot time you can roll your own kernel or rebuild the initramfs with the modules xen installed.

Alternatively Xen 4.2 offers xl commands `xl pci-assignable-add` and `xl pci-assignable-remove`, which should attempt to automatically dislodge the card from Dom0 at run-time. ÂIf that works you could just add a script at boot time instead of rebuilding either initramfs or the kernel.

You may still need to connect to Windows via SDL or VNC to install the drivers before you get video output, unless Windows automatically installs them, but I don't know how Windows Server will react to being passed a device at run-time.

If you want a mostly up to date reference you should try my comprehensive xen tutorial, it was written for Debian and Xen 4.2 unstable, but the kernel building instructions and a few others are still mostly accurate for the stable revisions. ÂHowever, I have never tried simply rebuilding the initramfs, so I don't have instructions for that.

Also, if you haven't yet you should read the xen 4.2 man pages, they are very helpful for configuring machines.

Hope that helps,

~Casey