Re: [Xen-users] Trouble booting FreeBSD i386 PV DomU

On 03/26/13 03:10, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On 26/03/13 10:38, Colin Percival wrote:
>> On 03/26/13 02:31, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
>>> Is Xen i386 PV broken?
>>
>> Not completely broken, but it's certainly not in a good state.  I believe
>> it's broken with SMP, for example -- if the "crashed on cpu#7" in your
>> output means cpu#7 from the guest, it would certainly explain things.
>
> My guest only has one vcpu (vcpu#0):

Ok, I wasn't sure how to parse that output.

>> HVM is the way to go with FreeBSD/Xen.
>
> Yes, I'm already working on that, and got vector callbacks working on
> both i386 and amd64 HVM guests, thanks to Justin T. Gibbs patch. Now I
> was trying to boot a PV guest to see how much breakage this change
> introduced to PV, but I'm not able to make it work, even without my patches.
>
> I've replied to this xen-users thread because the author seem to have a
> working FreeBSD DomU PV guest, and I was wondering how he did it. From
> my POV it seems like PV guests hasn't been working for a long time,
> since Xen 3.3 dropped support for non-PAE guests, and the FreeBSD kernel
> is detected as non-PAE.

I had FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE and a 9.0-CURRENT @ January 2011 running with PV
in EC2 (http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-on-ec2/, look for "t1.micro
instances only") and that used PAE.  But it's entirely likely that something
got broken in the past two years and nobody noticed because nobody ever uses
PV...

--
Colin Percival