Re: [Xen-users] PCI/VGA passthrough: differences between Xen and ESXi?

  • To: Patrick Proniewski <patpro@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: David TECHER <davidtecher@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 17:54:57 +0100 (BST)
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 16:56:12 +0000

Patrick,

1) Xen's vocabulary

dom0 = the main (first) hypervisor, hosting all virtual machines -- like your Mac OS X
domU = any virtual machine.

This is not the real meaning but here I try to stay "understandable". But for better understanding please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen

My understanding is that your dom0 has to be replaced by Linux so you can run Xen. But for this part I am not a Mac OS X expert.

2) More info  - details listed beow are only available for a Xen dom0 running on Linux.

[Extracted]:....I've ended my testing with ESXi, because I was not able to passthrough sound device, and USB....
[Comment]: With Xen you can :)

[Extracted]: ...with stock ATI Radeon..;
[Comment]...Xen offers VGA PassThrough feature for ATI Radeon.

Here is a link to a Youtube video to run Crysis 3 on a domU Windows 7 64 Bits with HD 7970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnchEG4YtI&feature=player_embedded

As you can see

- I can use PCI Passthrough to add a XBOX 360 Paddle while playing Crysis 3 (see at 09:12 in the Video)

- I have sound too :)

But it works on Linux domU too. Here is another Youtube video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KzqOIMaBgX0

But you need to apply a few patches to able this feature with Xen 4.2 and over. Not very complicated to do.
Here are my instructions to do it but I know that there are currently better way to test it

http://www.davidgis.fr/blog/index.php?2013/03/13/935-xen-43-vga-passthrough-ati-card-hd-7970-changeset-26706

[Extracted]...memory allocation
[Comment]...Xen - limited to 3GB for RAM. A few developers are working on overpassing this limitation.

[Extracted]...no snaphost possible
[Comment]...If you used Xen with LVM is then snahshotting is easier to manage ;)

[Extracted] no sleep
[Comment] works on Xen for both Linux and Windows. The main issue is that you can reboot a domU without restarting the dom0.

[Extracted] Is it possible to create a virtualized desktop with VGA and PCI passthrough for 2 or 3 VM's running simultaneously (ie. each one with its own video card)?
[Comment] Yes it is doable. Never tested but from experience share with other Xen users  I know that it should be run fine.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards.

David.