[Xen-users] Identifying graphics cards for passthrough

Hi,

I have an HP workstation here with two identical AMD V5900 graphics cards in it. I'm finding it really challenging following the instructions to get VGA passthrough working. Thanks for the help you've given me so far. The host OS is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit with the XFCE desktop.

The Xen install has a Windows guest and I want to pass one of the cards through to it. The cards each appear as two devices (a graphics card and an associated sound card that provides the HDMI audio out). So I have:

    * 00:04:00.0 - Graphics card
    * 00:04:00.1 - Audio device
    * 00:05:00.0 - Graphics card
    * 00:05:00.1 - Audio device

I swapped which device was primary in the BIOS as it made the layout of the wiring on the back panel more logical.

My first stupid question is: How do I work out which card is the primary and secondary to know which one to pass into the guest please?

I think I need to use gfx_passthru=1

I am already passing other PCI devices through to the guest successfully. Say for example 00:06:00.0.

How do I write this for the conf file please. I tried things like:

    gfx_passthru=1
    pci=['0000:04:00.0','0000:04:00.1','0000:06:00.0']

and

    gfx_passthru=1
    pci=['0000:04:00.0']

    pci=['0000:04:00.1','0000:06:00.0']

I've had no success. Are these ways of writing it equivalent or do the PCI IDs need to be grouped in a specific way please?

I've seen some guides saying that I need to extract the contents of the EEPROM and bring it into the guest and some not mention it. Do I need to do this with an AMD card please?

I've also see reference to needing a copy of Xen after changeset 25070 for graphics passthrough. I know I'm running Xen 4.2.0 as downloaded from the website but I don't still have the source code we compiled it from so I don't know if it's the right patch level. How can I work out if the copy I have is OK from an installed machine please?

Thanks,
Paul.