Re: [Xen-users] Wireless adapters on XEN

Hello Dayo,

Welcome to the mailing list.

Wei already covered this, but Xen/XCP rely on a control OS for you to interact, and anything you setup with the core hardware is initially handled by this Domain0.

My first step would be running `uname -a` or similar to verify what OS is your Domain0. ÂThen you can easily narrow down your search to the OS version without XCP.

Next I would check the kernel version from the Ubuntu you had and the new Domain0 you installed. ÂThat could affect hardware compatibility and is worth investigating.

Someone else might have a more definitive answer, and hopefully it'll come down to simply running an extra command after connecting your USB device.

As for a reference to search the mailing list, you may want to check out their lists page, the link to marksmail is what you want:

Best of luck,

~Casey

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 03:06:37PM +0100, Dayo Egbetola wrote:
> hi all -
>
> I'm new here as i recently started playing with xen and xcp via
> ubuntu. It all worked fine but for better or worse, I decided i don't
> need ubuntu and wiped everything on my box and installed xcp from
> scratch. The only issue i now have is that i can't get it to connect
> to my router/internet.
>
> I have a netgear wireless usb adapter as well as a pci wireless nic on
> the machine. Xen has picked up the pci card, i think, as it is showing
> the settings in the Network and Management Interface and is ee it
> under ifconfig on the command line.
>
> On the other hand, the USB Adapter is not recognised however i can see
> it been detected when i removed and plug it in under dmesg | tail.
>
> The message says "new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address
> 7. configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice"
>
> It also doesn't show up under ifconfig
>
> My questions are 1. How do i get XEN to give me the options to select
> the wireless network and allow me to enter the user name, password,
> ssid etc? Â2. For the USB adapter, how do i get this setup so that it
> shows up as an additional nic?

Xen is just a hypervisor. It exposes peripheral devices to Dom0. You
need Dom0 to take control of the devices.

>3. on a separate note, is there searcheable interface for the xen mail
>archives?

Google works quite well.

> I've tried searching the web for some answers but nothing has turned
> up so far. Ideally, i'd like to use the usb adapter as it worked fine
> when i was using ubuntu. To get me going, i would have just used a
> wired Ânic but it would be a shame to bring back the wires.

Ultimately there is always a Dom0 OS working. It looks like that Ubuntu
at least has the drivers you need. So why not stick with Ubuntu and
start from there.

Wei.