Re: [Xen-users] Xen Live Migration across versions

On Fri, 2013-04-19 at 20:53 +0100, Siva Palagummi wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  How about the use case of "rolling" downgrade?
> Let us say something is wrong with newer version with infrastructure
> in my environment and I want to go back to previous version and don't
> want to bring my application down. Don't you see such cases arising?

It's not something which I remember being asked for before and its not
something that anyone has been putting any effort into. I'm not aware of
any of the big consumers of Xen who support this use case.

The current support is largely driven by what the users and consumers of
Xen have wanted and have them investing the time into making it work
reliably and consistently over multiple releases.

Obviously downgrading is a bit trickier than upgrading due to the lack
of time travel, but if it can be achieved by patches against the N+1
versions of Xen which are not too intrusive I can't see any fundamental
reason for those not to be accepted if someone wants the feature enough
to do the work.

Ian.