[Xen-users] Will Xen fit my needs?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Sam Kerr <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 18:14:59 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 27 May 2013 02:41:39 +0000

Hello,

I'm new to Xen and was wondering if I could get some guidance and advice before going down a rabbit hole.

I have tried VMware virtualization and WINE before, but neither has really fit my needs. I would like to run both an Ubuntu and Windows 7 instance on my hardware. I generally prefer to use Linux for development and day to day, but I have several audio hardware pieces and software applications that simply are a no go with WINE. I also play several games on Windows that don't really work well on WINE.

If I understand correctly, I can pass hardware directly through to either guest, so both my Windows and Ubuntu instance would be able to do all the video or sound processing they needed, without tons of overhead. Is that correct?

For my CPU, I have an Intel Core i7 920, so I have hardware virtualization support.

Thanks for any help!

-Sam Kerr