Re: [Xen-users] Standalone application for checking IOMMU virtualization support?

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-06-02 at 15:32 -0300, Zir Blazer wrote:
> > Do anyone knows if such thing exist, is possible to develop, can be
> > practical and useful, etc?
>
> How about a Xen live CD like the one the alpine Linux guys produce?
>
> Ian.

Hello Zir, Ian,

Zir brings up what I think is an excellent point.  While I'm one to
check for VT-x or AMD-V by looking in the BIOS, the only point and
click Windows software that really comes to mind for checking this is
rather aged and simple, while straightforward to use on any version of
Windows--no reboot required--and named "Securable."[1]

Something like this would actually be lovely for IOMMU... but I can
only think of obvious methods for detecting it when it's actually
switched on.  AMD-V presents a device on the PCI bus that will show up
in a Windows system; there's a null driver[2] for it because yellow
exclamation marks in Device Manager drive us crazy ;)

If Intel's VT-d support also does such a thing, perhaps it's a step in
the direction for what you're looking for?

Cheers,
Andrew

[1]: https://www.grc.com/securable.htm
[2]: