Re: [Xen-users] Hiding PCI devices with modprobe.d

On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 11:25 +0100, Daniel Shub wrote:

> When I reboot only some of the devices are hidden. Looking in dmesg
> and xl dmesg I can see entries for the devices that are successfully
> hidden, but no obvious entries for the devices that are not hidden. If
> I remove the /etc/modprobe.d/pcihide.conf file and reboot, no devices
> are hidden, so the file is getting loaded and I am able to hide some
> devices with this method.

My guess would be that it is todo with the module load order. Those
which are loaded before pciback do not get hidden, those which are after
do.

It's not often an option with distro kernels but building pciback in
statically (and putting the options on the hypervisor command line)
seems like it might help.

If you are passing through every device of a given type then you could
also consider blacklisting the driver in dom0. Obviously this doesn't
help if you have two and want to pass one through and keep the other for
dom0.

Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest, perhaps others on the list
have advice.

Ian.