Re: [Xen-users] Hiding PCI devices with modprobe.d

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:58:34 +0100, Daniel Shub <Daniel.Shub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Gordan Bobic [mailto:gordan@xxxxxxxxxx]

 You'll find the answer and an example here:

 https://lists.wireless.org.au/pipermail/kernel-xen/2013-
May/000241.html

Super helpful, thank you. Instead of creating configurations for each
problematic module, could I instead add a script to my pcihide.conf
that unbinds the devices? Something like a pciback.conf of:

    install xen-pciback /usr/local/sbin/detach-pci.sh; insmod
/path/to/the/xen-pciback.ko

(I am not near my dom0 and don't know the path) and a detach-pci.sh file of:

echo -n "0000:01:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/driver/unbind

Indeed, that should work. That is pretty much exactly the same
thing that the other methods for detaching or making a device
assignable do.

Note:
1) You (mostly) don't need this if you (can) blacklist the driver.

2) If you create a modprobe.d conf file for each of the affected drivers and you make the script modprobe xen-pciback, there is a good chance that
you won't need any manual unbinding at all - when the first driver load
is triggered it will load xen-pciback first, and since you listed the
devices for it to hide (i.e. bind to), when the driver tries to load
it won't find any unused hardware to bind to and thus won't need to
be unbound.

Gordan