Re: [Xen-users] ssd cache

So, a couple of things:
1) IMHO, installing Xen on an SSD is a waste of an SSD.  In workstation
environments, you put the O/S on an SSD because it significantly speeds up boot
time on systems where you are repetitively and frequently booting the system.
In server environments, you use SSDs to speed up systems where disk I/O is at a
premium.  So, in a server environment, putting the host hypervisor on an SSD
doesn't make a whole lot of sense - you're going to boot the system and keep it
running, so why not put the Xen hypervisor on a USB flash drive, or SD card, or
something similar?
2) For using the SSDs as cache, this is really outside the scope of Xen itself
and more how you architect dom0 and your domain storage.  There are filesystems
that support using SSDs as cache devices - ZFS and, I believe, Btrfs, for
example - and you can use those filesystems for domU disk storage if you like.
Other than that, most of the products I know of that use SSD for
caching/offload, are commercial and not open source, but maybe someone else has
some ideas?  If nothing else you could probably make the SSD into an LVM volume
group, and you could create LVs for each Xen domU that you could then use for
pagefiles or the like, in addition to the traditional disks.

-Nick

>>> On 2013/06/27 at 11:36, jacek burghardt <jaceksburghardt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is anyone using ssd as cache for xen? I found great deal on co locating my
> server and I am planing on installing  xen on 128 gb ssd card and 2 tb for
> lvm. IS there a way to use ssd.

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.