Re: [Xen-users] Marvell, IOMMU/VT-d, and pci-phantom

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 14:59 +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > It seems to me from peering at the docs that one of those (probably the
> > second) ought to be correct, but I'm not sure what the <stride>
> > parameter is supposed to be, although I suspect it ought to be non-zero.
>
> Exactly (at least to me "stride" can't possibly mean something that
> might be zero, except perhaps as a disable indicator).

Right.

>  So
>
> pci-phantom=06:00,1
>
> should do, provided this is a single-function device.

So what does stride actually mean? To me it suggests every N-th device,
but in that case how do we know how many there are in total?

> > Jan, since you wrote this patch for Marvell devices I suppose you know
> > the right incantation for this bit of hardware?
>
> The specific hardware doesn't matter, we're basically just overriding
> rwo bits that a device behaving this way should have set in its PCIe
> capability structure (i.e. the resulting behavior is generic).

I'm not 100% convinced that requiring users to understand the PCIe
capability structures here is "fair", but I suppose it is an advanced
feature.

Assuming you meant "two" not "rwo", which two bits are they?