Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] Cannot start Fedora 19 HVM domU with VGA passthru

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 22:41:24 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/2013 21:55, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 21:13:54 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/2013 21:04, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 20:57:55 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/2013 20:35, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 20:29:41 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/2013 20:03, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:23:58 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/2013 19:02, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:55:55 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/2013 18:44, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:40:51 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/2013 18:29, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:20:08 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/2013 18:09, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:07:27 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/2013 16:46, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 16:37:34 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Although Fedora 19 HVM domU with VGA passthrough cannot start, Debian 7.1.0 amd64 HVM domU with VGA passthrough can start. In Debian 7.1.0 amd64 HVM domU with VGA passthrough, Intel HD Graphics 4600 is listed in lspci -vvv. Please refer to lspci.txt. It is strange that no kernel module is being loaded for Intel HD Graphics 4600. There is no "Kernel driver in use" statement after VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06) (prog-if
00 [VGA controller]).

No kernel driver is seen in lsmod. Please refer to lsmod.txt

When I tried to load the kernel module by executing "modprobe i915",
it complains "no such device".

ERROR: could not insert 'i915': No such device

So is my Intel HD Graphics 4600 VGA Passthrough to Debian 7.1.0 amd64 HVM domU considered successful since the i915 driver cannot be loaded?

Thank you very much.

If you have a driver in dom0 claiming the device (other than the xen-pciback driver), you cannot pass through that device. If you do lspci -ccc on F19 and you see the driver in use for that device being something other than xen-pciback, that would explain why you can't pass it through.

Also, did you first do xl pci-assignable-add for that device? This attempts to detach the device from it's current driver but doesn't always work especially for GPUs. The only solution is blacklist the driver for the device in dom0. The downside is that you cannot run a GUI in dom0 on that
device.

I cannot start Fedora 19 HVM domU with VGA passthrough at all. Could
you advise me on the workaround?

As for the Intel HD Graphics (i915) driver, I have it blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf already. Please refer to attached
blacklist.conf.

Have you confirm that no other driver is bound to the device in lspci -vvv? Also what version of Xen are you running on each of the distros, and which
dom0 kernel?

I have checked "lsmod | grep i915" and the command doesn't return anything, which means the kernel module i915 is not loaded in dom0.

Check lspci -vvv,find the device in the output and look for the lines that say:
Kernel driver in use:
Kernel modules:

[...]

I have checked lspci -vvv in Ubuntu 13.04 dom0 and the Kernel driver
in use is pciback for Intel HD Graphics 4600 IGD.

As for Fedora 19 HVM domU, I don't know because I cannot start it.

Starting is not required to do this. Do it before starting the domU.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

On F19, don't worry about starting the domU. In dom0, do lspci -vvv, find the Intel graphics device in the output and find what kernel driver / module are bound to it, if any. You can only pass through a PCI device that is connected to the xen pciback driver, and even then often only if no other driver had connected to the device first
since that might leave it in an unknown state.

But I can only start Fedora 19 HVM domU with-out vga passthrough. I want to be able to start Fedora 19 HVM domU with vga passthrough.

You are trying to get one step ahead of what I am talking about.
Forget domU for the moment. Before you can even begin thinking
about the domU you have to make sure the device is available
for assigning in dom0. If you have a driver bound to the device in dom0 you cannot pass it through to domU. So forget domU until
you have actually confirmed there is no driver bound to the
device in dom0.

What do the following two lines say for the device in lspci -vvv
in _dom0_ on Fedora:
Kernel driver in use:
Kernel modules:

I have attached the output of lspci -vvv in Ubuntu 13.04 dom0. The
filename of the attachment is dom0-lspci.txt.

You need to do this as root, otherwise some of the output is missing.

And the dump from the machine where you have domU working isn't
useful, you need to post the same lspci dump from the system
where it _doesn't_ work.

I have attached the output of lspci -vvv as root in Ubuntu 13.04
dom0. The filename of the attachment is root-dom0-lspci.txt.

Right, that is showing
Kernel driver in use: pciback
for the Intel VGA device.

But that is expected, you said you have it working on Ubuntu.
You now need to make sure you have the same lspci output on
Fedora dom0 before you start the domU.

I think you are confused. I only have *one* dom0, which is the Ubuntu
13.04 dom0. I don't have any other dom0.

What I am trying to do is to start Fedora 19 HVM domU in Ubuntu 13.04
dom0, but am unable to.

Hope this clears everything.

It does, thanks. I was under the impression you were dual booting dom0s
and one was letting you boot domU and the other wasn't. Apologies.

Do you know how to solve the problem of Fedora 19 HVM domU not
starting up in Ubuntu 13.04 dom0 with Intel IGD VGA passthrough?

I never used Intel GPUs for this sort of thing. Did you try it with
secondary passthrough (normal PCI device passthrough without
gfx_passthru option set)?