Re: [Xen-users] Please recommend a cheap ATI display adapter for Xen VGA Passthrough

On 07/31/2013 06:51 PM, Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
Hi,

Could you recommend a cheap ATI display adapter for Xen VGA Passthrough?
It needs to be less than SGD$200.

Please recommend an ATI graphics card from the following computer
component price list:

http://www.fuwell.com.sg/uploads/misc/Fuwell270713.pdf

Any particular reason why ATI? I've had much better luck with Nvidia cards. If you are on a budget, see if you can get a GTS450 ($60 or so on eBay) and doctor the BIOS to make it into a Quadro 2000. I have modified several this way and they work fine (no performance degradation after domU reboots). If you want to go this route instead of ATI, drop me an email off list and I'll point you in the direction of what you need to modify in the GeForce BIOS to make a GeForce 4xx into a Quadro. Or just get a real Quadro 2000 (~ $160 on eBay).

But if you are determined to go the ATI route, what are your actual requirements? 1) Cheap: HD6450 works fine (slow but they are available passively cooled if you want a quiet machine). 2) Fast: Several people, myself included got a HD7970 working. Any Radeon HD4xxx or later should work the same for purpose of VGA passthrough (see the list that people have used here:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_Tested_Adapters

Chose according to your budget.

3) I also got an older HD4850 working (advantage: single slot card, several times faster than HD6450, both DVI ports are dual link unlike on all later cards where one is single-link only).

Pretty much anything HD4xxx or later should work, with all the usual well documented issues (performance degradation with domU reboots).

Personally, I'm currently using GTX470 and GTX480 cards modified into Quadro 5000 and 6000 respectively quite successfully (gaming in VMs).

Gordan