Re: [Xen-users] noise appears with Intel HD graphics 4600 IGD passthrough

(2013/08/27 2:44), Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> On 26/08/2013 11:10, Kento Takahashi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have installed Xen and Windows 7 domU in Ubuntu 12.04 dom0.
>> I tried following versions of Xen and dom0 linux kernel.
>>
>>    Xen: 4.3, 4.4-unstable(revision 27363)
>>    kernel: 3.10.7, 3.11.0-rc6
>>
>> I tried to passthrough the Intel HD graphics 4600 IGD to the domU,
>> and it is successful. Refer to the dxdiag screenshot.
>>
>> However, when I ran 3DMark Basic Edition or some other benchmarks, there
>> is often noise across the screen as the attached screenshot.
>>
>> How can I remove this noise?
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Kento

> Dear Kento,
>
> May I know which manual/tutorial/guide did you follow in getting IGD
> passthrough to work successfully?
>
> Could you share with us your GRUB2 configuration, Windows 7 HVM domU
> configuration, and Linux kernel configuration file?
>
> Thank you very much.

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late response.

I attach the grub configration file, HVM domU configuration file, and
kernel configuration file.
I am trying with Xen 4.2.2 now, so xen 4.2.2 is set in the grub file.

I have installed xen and dom0 kernel by referring to these pages and so.
   - http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenPCIpassthrough
   - http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough
   -
http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/Latest-Xen-Linux-Kernel-and-VGA-Passthrough-Tutorials-td5718127.html

I have built dom0 kernel by these commands.
   $ make menuconfig
   $ make -j8
   # make modules_install install

In menuconfig I checked 4 options and the others were default.
   1. Processor type and features ->
      Linux guest support ->
      Enable paravirtualization code ->
      Xen guest support
   2. Power management and ACPI options ->
      ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) support ->
      Deprecated /proc/acpi files
   3. Device Drivers ->
      Network device support ->
      Xen backend network device
   4. Device Drivers ->
      Block Devices ->
      Xen block-device backend driver

And I have built Xen by these commands.
   $ make world
   # make install

For passthrough vga device, I use these commands.
   # echo 0000:00:02.0 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0/driver/unbind
   # echo 0000:00:02.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
   # echo 0000:00:02.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind

Best regards,
Kento