Re: [Xen-users] [libvirt] Xen 4.1 misc issues

Roberto Sassu wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS with the Xen hypervisor
> installed (package version: 4.1.2-2ubuntu2.10),
> and Libvirt v0.10.2.2 (that interacts with Xen through
> the libxl driver).
>
> I performed some adjustments to have the required
> features:
>
>  - Switch from Xend to libxl:
>      I created upstart jobs for xenstored and xenconsoled
>      so that necessary daemons are started earlier enough
>      and Libvirt can contact the hypervisor through libxl.
>
>  - Add support for Open vSwitch:
>      I added the script 'vif-openvswitch', taken from
>      the master branch of the GIT repository, to the
>      /etc/xen/scripts directory in order to plug network
>      interfaces to Open vSwitch switches.
>
> I know that the support for libxl is experimental
> in Xen 4.1, but I'm wondering if someone has a solution
> to the following issues:

Note that in libvirt 1.0.1, I removed support for Xen 4.1 libxl from the
libvirt libxl driver when adding support for libxl in Xen 4.2 and beyond

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-November/msg01582.html

The libxl interface underwent several incompatible changes between 4.1
and 4.2, and since libxl in 4.1 was experimental I saw no reason to
clutter the libvirt libxl driver with support both.  For Xen <= 4.1, you
should use the legacy xen libvirt driver, which has been around for
years and is quite stable.

If you are interested in libxl, can you use a more recent Xen (>= 4.2)
and libvirt (preferably 1.1.2 since it contains console support you
mention below)?  IMO, I don't think we should waste time investigating
issues in a configuration no longer supported.

Regards,
Jim