Re: [Xen-users] Nvidia Passthrough and PCIe Bridge Hell

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For those of you who have been following the developments
surrounding modding Nvidia cards into equivalent
Quadro/Grid models for VGA passthrough, I can report that
a simplified mod is now available. See this post for
details:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/msg316134/#msg316134

Summary - remove resistor for 3rd device ID nibble,
modify 2 bytes in the UEFI strap, and you are good
to go.

This reduces the complexity of the originaly hardware
mod by at least 4x, at the expense of a small BIOS
mod.

Unfortunately, since I am already in PCIe bridge hell
due to all of my PCIe slots being behind the broken
Nvidia NF200 bridges, the extra layers of bridging
on a GTX690 make it unworkable with my motherboard,
so if anybody is interested in a new, gridified
GTX690, drop me an email off-list.

Gordan

Just reading through this, and some of the other threads on this topic, I had a random idea and just wondered if it was feasible; would be possible to translate/change the reported PCI Device ID at the QEMU/Passthrough layer?

Regards,

  David