Re: [Xen-users] can't passthrough video card

  • To: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: bob evans <b.evans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 01:00:14 -0800
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 13:05:25 +0000

Hi Gordan, thank you very much for your reply.

> 1) Put something like this in your /etc/modprobe.d/xen-pciback.conf (or
> equivalent on your distro)
> options xen-pciback hide=(08:00.0)(08:00.1)
> where 08:00.0 and 08:00.1 are PCI IDs of the device in question.
> Alternatively, you may need to do the equivalent of this on your kernel
> boot line if your xen-pciback module is built into the kernel.

Ok, I've done this now.

> If any of the devices were bound to a different driver first, for those
> devices it is easier to do something like:
> xl pci-assignable-remove 0000:08.00.0
> instead of what you did above.

I switched from xm to xl, when I try this command it gives me this error:
pci-assignable-remove: malformed BDF specification "0000:02.00.0"
I also tried it with the format 02.00.0, and I tried it with
pci-assignable-add, and I
also tried it with another device.

> This is a problem - if the radeon driver has already initialized the
> card, it's not going to work. ATI cards' BIOS and drivers aren't good
> enough to handle this situation properly.

So I should blacklist the radeon driver then right? I can do this because only
my AMD
graphics card uses this driver. I'm not sure what to do about the HDMI sound
device
though, because I have many components using that driver.

02:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT HDMI
Audio [Radeon
HD 7970 Series]
    Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Device aaa0
    Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

> Use xl command as described above. It is simpler and less error prone.
> Gordan

I can't get that command to work. Thank you very much for your help.

GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at
http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIMÂ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, ICQÂ, Google Talkâ and most
webmails