Re: [Xen-users] RDMA transports for migration

On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 10:00 +0100, Vincenzo De Maio wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm writing this because I would like to know if Xen uses a RDMA-based
> transport for non-live migration over Infiniband NICs. If so, is it
> possible to find some documentation about this? Thanks a lot in
> advance!

I've heard of people doing it, or at least talking about doing it. But
if you've not found any documentation with google then perhaps it was
never written down how.

Ultimately Xen's migration (live or otherwise) just needs to be able to
transfer a byte stream from one end to the other, so if you know how to
arrange that with Infiniband it should be more or less trivial. With the
xl migrate command (which is always live BTW) you can supply your own
command to be used inplace of the default ssh connection to the foreign
server, so it ought to be possible to write a shim to tunnel over IB
instead.

Alternatively if IB supplies you with a shared storage thing then you
could do save/restore to that which would be very similar to a non-live
migration.

Ian.