Re: [Xen-users] disk controller not working with xen: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9172

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:05:29 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:06:37 +0000

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:37:12 +0000, Stanley Pilton <stanley.pilton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The relevant output from lspci is:

06:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9172 SATA
6Gb/s Controller (rev 11)

or for lspci -n :

06:00.0 0106: 1b4b:9172 (rev 11)

From searching the web, I tried appending pci-phantom=06:00,1 as an
argument to xen at boot time, but this did not result in the disks
being visible.

I based my attempted workaround on
<http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2013-06/msg00460.html>.

Not that IS interesting - what version of Xen is pci-phantom implemented
from? Does it work for phantom devices as opposed to functions? e.g.
some LSI and Adaptec SAS cards are based on PCI/PCI-X SAS controllers
with PCIe bridges, but the bridges don't show up in lspci, so when
transfers actually happen there are AER PCIe errors all over the place
as IOMMU forbids the DMA transfers from seemingly non-existant devices.

Last time I mentioned such a thing here, the workaround was to write a
kernel module for dom0 that informs the hypervisor of the devices in
question, but using something like pci-phantom would be much more
convenient.

Gordan