Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.3.1 ignoring dom0_mem command line parameter?

On 13/12/13 01:44, Philippe Gagnon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm setting up a server running Xen 4.3.1 on Gentoo but I am running
> into a weird issue. My machine has 64GB of RAM total. I'm trying to
> set dom0's memory but no matter what I do it seems that the memory
> available to dom0 decreases when a VM is started. After a while, the
> system locks up; it responds to ping requests and shows the login
> prompt (on which you can enter a username, but the password input
> never appears) and that's it. When we managed to get a dmesg, it
> showed that the system ran out of memory.
>
> I have the following options on the kernel line for xen:
>
> (XEN) Command line: placeholder dom0_mem=12288M,max:12288M dom0_max_vcpus=4
>
> And I have the following options on the kernel line for dom0:
>
> placeholder root=ZFS=tank/dom0 ro apparmor=1 security=apparmor
>
> After starting a few test VMs (about 40), xm and xl report different
> values with regards to the memory available to the dom0:
>
> prometheus ~ # xm list
> Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State
> Time(s)
> Domain-0                                     0 12288     4     r-----   1277.6
>
> prometheus ~ # xl list
> Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State
> Time(s)
> Domain-0                                     0 12040     4     r-----
> 1279.1

Hello,

It seems that you are running both xl and xend at the same time, which
is not recommended and is known to cause trouble. How do you launch your
VMs?

> /etc/xen/xl.conf is at its default value, but setting it to off has no
> effect either:
> #autoballoon="auto"

Try setting it to "off", don't start xend and create your VMs using xl only.