Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] Serious issues with xenpaging

At 10:33 -0500 on 31 Dec (1388482410), Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 06:34:55PM +0000, Russell Pavlicek wrote:
> > On Twitter, Florian Heigl sent a out a few messages about issues with
> > xenpaging:
> >
> > ---
> > 19-Dec: Anyone successfully use
> > #xen<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23xen&src=hash>
> > #xenpaging<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23xenpaging&src=hash>? docs are at
> > SLES manual, rest is mostly this:
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/255798<http://t.co/P36VdL84Et>
> >  dead feature or usable?
> >
> > 22-Dec: @lars_kurth<https://twitter.com/lars_kurth>
> > @RCPavlicek<https://twitter.com/RCPavlicek> Hey guys, I wrote down as much
> > as I could https://piratenpad.de/p/Ik3lOBLniq1L5TEM
> > <https://t.co/e5LQCUD9d0> (since I'm on holiday and not constant online)
> >
> > 22-Dec: Yay, tested #xen<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23xen&src=hash>
> > Xenpaging (memory overcommit)
> > [x] largely untested
> > [x] docs outdated
> > [x] syntax+logic changed
> > [x] broken
> > ---
> >
> > [I've taken the liberty of removing the colorful expletive from the final
> > post]
> >
> > Is Florian's assessment correct, or is there somewhere we can point him for
> > help?  I'm on vacation this week, but if someone replies to me, I will try
> > to forward the information appropriately.
>
> The Maintainers file implies otherwise. Let me CC the maintainers.

Andres really owns this code, so I'll punt to him for an official
answer, but:

- It's been listed as a 'tech preview' on the feature list since it went
  in.  http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Release_Features says:
  "Preview, due to limited tools support. Hypervisor side in good shape."

- I can't say anything about SuSE's apparent support for it, except
  that ISTR Olaf worked at/for/with SuSE at the time.

- Patches would, of course, be welcome.

Tim.