Re: [Xen-users] vga passthrogh on mainboards with broken ivrs tables

Eric,

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Eric Houby <ehouby@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Just wanting to check the basics - have you also make sure you've installed the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Sometimes these updates contain fixes fror issues such as bad table entries.

Regards,

  David

David,

Yes, I have the latest BIOS update, F10a, for my GA-990FXA-UD3 ver1.1.  PCI passthrough works fine for USB controllers but when I try to passthrough a secondary VGA card I see crash logs as copied in the attachment.  If you, or any others on the list, have ideas on how to work through this issue I would be very interested in hearing them.

Thanks,

Eric

I've been looking through the log file and my first instinct is that you're experiencing a driver issue on dom0, which is causing the issue (basically a driver on dom0 has already claimed the device and doesn't like that you're trying to take it away). To validate that, I'd need some more information; You mention that this is a dual GPU system; are both GPUs ATI/AMD/Radeon? How are you making the second GPU available to be passed through (via xl commands? modprobe options? passed kernel options?)

Regards,

  David

David,

This box does have two GPUs:

[root@xen ~]# lspci | grep VGA

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper PRO [Radeon HD 5750]

I have the NVIDIA for use with Dom0 and would like to pass the Radeon HD 5750 to a VM running Win7.  To assign the 5750 to pciback, I have tried several methods as shown on the Xen PCI Passthrough Wiki  at http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough.  Dynamic Assignment to pciback with xl and sysfs both result in similar errors as shown in my previous email .  To prevent the Radeon driver from loading at boot time, I tried Static Assignment but it fails to stop the Radeon driver from loading.  Here is what I think is the relevant configuration for Static Assignment, maybe I have not followed the Wiki accurately:

[root@xen ~]# lspci –k

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper PRO [Radeon HD 5750]

        Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Device 2287

        Kernel driver in use: radeon

[root@xen ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

install radeon /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback ; /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install radeon

options xen-pciback hide=(0000:04:00.0)

[root@xen ~]# lsinitrd | grep pciback

drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root            0 Dec 28 10:16 usr/lib/modules/3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64/kernel/drivers/xen/xen-pciback

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       106151 Dec 17 14:03 usr/lib/modules/3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64/kernel/drivers/xen/xen-pciback/xen-pciback.ko

After a reboot xen-pciback is not loaded and the 5750 is still using the radeon driver.

Thanks,

Eric

  To try and get this initially working, i'd go ahead and just blacklist the radeon driver, since your primary GPU is a NVIDIA card. Also, I'd check but you may find that your AMD card actually has two PCI entries, one for graphics and one for HDMI audio (most of the ones that I've played with have) - probably something like 04:00.1 or 04:00.2; if you do, i'd pass that one through as well. You can then use 'xl pci-assignable-add' to add the one or two entries, once the radeon driver isn't bound to it. That should at least yet us to where you are able to boot into the dual environment; I've had a similar setup in the past, an NVIDIA GeForce 550Ti as my primary, AMD Radeon 6770 passed through to a Windows 7 HVM domain, on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX board ( AMD Phenom II x4 965, or an AMD FX 8350 cpu)

Regards,

  David