[Xen-users] Dom-0 always gets 1.2gb of memory(!)

I'm setting up an ubuntu 13.10 server with both zfs and xen.

Booting linux directly I have 15gb free memory. 16gb is installed, but some (64m) is taken by the APU integrated GPU- I assume the rest is used by the kernel.

Booting xen, with dom0 min and max memory set to eg 8g, and 1 pinned vcpu leaves me in a linux environment with only 1.2gb of ram.  If I set the linux kernel mem argument to 8192M I'll end up with only 600mb of total memory in dom0.

I've tried changing this up and down; always getting the same value for free memory in dom0: 1.2gb.

Autoballooning is disabled and the matching amount of memory is specified in the xl and xend config files.  The tool stack is configured for XAPI. But I can't remove xl as there is a dependency from one of the xend storage daemons to xen-common (which contains xl.)

What is really weird is that Dom-0 dmesg shows the kernel is getting the amount of memory that is configured for Dom-0- there's a Memory:... Line early on that, minus a few Kb, matches what xen is configured to pass on.

But something is causing there to always only be 1.2gb free in dom0- which is not enough; the machine crashes after a few hours of use- strongly suspect memory issues for zfs.

Any suggestions for where to look appreciated- I'm stumped and may have to give up on xen! :-(

In a case it's relevant, I believe lxc and KVM support packages are installed.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Regards

Julian