Re: [Xen-users] Is there any ATI card, which works with VGA Passthrough and allows rebooting guest?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:40:32 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:41:30 +0000

On 2014-01-21 16:23, Adam Ryczkowski wrote:
I'm planning to build a system that allows gaming on domU with
VGA-passthrough.

 Are there any graphics cards besides few expensive NVidia Quadro
models, that are fully compatible with Xen VGA-passthrough, including
rebooting the virtual guest?

 I'd very much prefer to use ATI family then NVidia, with price <=
$500.

Depends on the performance level you required. IIRC I had
marginally better luck with the HD6450/7450 card than higher
spec ones, presumably because it doesn't take auxiliary
power so putting it to sleep by removing PCIe power
works on it.

Having said that, if you aren't after a particularly high
performance level, genuine Quadro 2000 can be had for
not much $ on ebay. If you want something faster than
that, get an Nvidia GTX470 or GTX480 and do a BIOS
mod on it to make it into a Quadro 5000 or 6000 respectively
as per the instructions here:

http://goo.gl/K69Xlh

I have used modified GTX470 and 480 cards very
extensively without any problems at all, as have
several other people on the list here.

If you want to go faster and aren't afraid of a little
bit of soldering, get a non-Gainward GTX680 and remove
one resistor to make it into half of a Tesla K10, which
also works well for VGA passthrough purposes (yes, I
also use those).

Gordan