Re: [Xen-users] Converting a VMDK on ESX to raw

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 05:28:06AM +0000, Manoj Subramaniam (manojsub) wrote:
> I tried this and it didn¹t work either.
>
> Here¹s what I did. I had a windows VM on ESX (I did install GPL PV
> drivers) and a Linux VM. I turned off the windows VM and attached it¹s
> disk to the linux VM. So I could see it as /dev/sdd . Then I did a ³ dd
> if=/dev/sdd of=windows.img bs=1m ³ After this I moved the windows.img to
> another machine running Xen 4.2.3 and Ubuntu Dom0, I tried to bring it up
> as an HVM. It tries to boot up and then says ³Boot from hard disk failed:
> could not read the boot disk² and  ³No bootable device. Powering off in 30
> seconds.²

This looks right. Remember inside the VM you always sees a raw disk,
nothing fancy going on, otherwise the OS itself won't be able to read
its content.

But TBH I've never used ESX. What happens when you do "file
windows.img"?

I have a raw disk image called "rhel7.img" and it returns "rhel7.img:
x86 boot sector".

Wei.