Re: [Xen-users] trouble with building latest xen code

On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 13:15 +0100, Aastha Mehta wrote:
> On 20 February 2014 11:43, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 11:40 +0100, Aastha Mehta wrote:
> >> I just figured out the problem. While building the Xen code, I blindly
> >> used all the dependencies listed on
> >> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source and used apt-get to
> >> install libyajl-dev. Looks like apt-cache has older version of the
> >> library available. Even though I later installed the latest yajl from
> >> the github, the default library being used was the older version. I
> >> uninstalled the older version and then re-installed the latest and
> >> everything works now.
> >
> > Which older version were you using and on which distro?
> >
> > If Xen doesn't build with the packages present in some major distro I
> > think we want to know about it.
> >
> > Ian.
> >

> Distro - Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS (Precise),
> Kernel - 3.13.2
> Xen version - 4.4 unstable (custom build)
> yajl older version: 1.0.12-2
> # aptitude versions libyajl-dev
> Package libyajl-dev:
> pi  1.0.12-2                    precise                         500
> Package libyajl-dev:i386:
> p   1.0.12-2                    precise                         500
>
> Latest yajl version available: 2.0.1
>
> There is some change in the yajl code between version 1 and 2, which
> prevents the tools, specifically libxl from compiling.

Thanks.

libxl is supposed to handle yajl1 as well as yajl2, detected at compile
time. The only references to yajl_gen_config I can see are correctly
within #ifdef HAVE_YAJL_V2 blocks and shouldn't be used when compiling
against yajl1.

Does Ubuntu's yajl 1.0.12 include /usr/include/yajl/yajl_version.h? This
is used to detect which version, via the YAJL_MAJOR #define in it.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/amd64/libyajl-dev/filelist says it
was there and it contained:
        #define YAJL_MAJOR 1
        #define YAJL_MINOR 0
        #define YAJL_MICRO 12

so I think libxl should have been using the yajl1 compatible code in
libxl_json.h

Did you by any chance have a mixture of packaged and unpackaged versions
of libyajl installed when you saw this failure?

Ian.