Re: [Xen-users] How to set up a domU to run on multiple dom0s

Ian Campbell skrev 2014-02-10 15:58:
> On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 15:30 +0100, Robin Axelsson wrote:
>> I want to run a multithreaded Windows binary while distributing the
>> threads over several computers on a local network. Since the binary in
>> itself (mplus) has no support for distributed computing, I was hoping it
>> would be possible to distribute the the computational threads over the
>> network through a virtual layer.
>>
>> I cannot see how such a windows binary could be 'tricked' into running
>> over two separate VMs, unless Windows provides some kind of
>> functionality that would allow threads and sub-threads to be redirected
>> to other computers in a network.
> Indeed, the application needs to be written to support this mode of
> operation.
>
>> I thought this is what cloud computing was intended for. What happened
>> to eucaluptus, enomaly or even cloudfoundry?
> I'm afraid not and I think you may have misunderstood.
>
> Cloud computing is many things to many people but it is mostly about
> carving up big resources into smaller ones, or perhaps about designing
> things in such a way that they can be deployed as lots of small
> (semi)independent things.
>
> AFAIK it has never been about putting aggregating small resources
> together in a way which appears transparently to higher levels to be a
> bigger resource. Certainly Xen has never been about that.
>
> Ian.

There actually seems to be at least one virtualization solution that
appears to focus on combining x86 servers into one symmetric
multiprocessing system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScaleMP

They appear to call it 'virtualization for aggregation':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization_for_aggregation

So they seem to have understood it as well ;)

Robin.