[Xen-users] XCP (XEN) and Ceph to utilize DAS

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Paul Mitchener" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:13:53 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 23:15:46 +0000

Hey everyone, hopefully you can give me some direction here. I posted this
question on the Ceph lists and received answers form a Ceph point of view,
but I was also after some feedback from the XEN / XCP community

The Scenario: We have multiple dual XEON servers with 4 x 1Tb hard drives as
well as servers with 8, 12 & 16 x 1Tb drives. Our plan is to deploy
Openstack with XCP (XEN) as a hypervisor and hopefully utilizing the direct
attached storage as OSD?s for Ceph.
We plan to install a small SSD in each server for the installation of XCP
and any server related tasks, ie: Openstack components, Ceph, Monitors and
in future MDS?s.
We will break the storage down into 4Tb OSD?s running RAID0, therefore
having 1 ? 4 OSD?s per server, configuring Ceph replicas of at least 2 ? 3.
We will also bond 2 x 1Gbps NIC?s in each server for a standalone storage
LAN segment. We don?t plan on expanding this infrastructure much more than
this for some time, so we don?t want to invest in 10Gbps networking hardware
at this time.

Here are the questions: (Question 1 is really the only directly XEN related
question)
1.      Is it possible to install Ceph and Ceph monitors on the XCP (XEN)
Dom0 or Hypervisor or would we need to install it on the DomU containing the
Openstack components?
2.      Is Ceph server aware, or Rack aware so that replicas are not stored
on the same server?
3.      Are 4Tb OSD?s too large? We are attempting to restrict the qty of
OSD?s per server to minimise system overhead

Any other feedback regarding our plan would also be welcomed.

Thanks
Paul