Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.3.1 HVM hangs after boot

On Wed, 2014-03-26 at 21:13 -0700, Doug Breshears wrote:

>         -----------------------------------
>
>         As a side note I attempted to "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep svm"
>         and it failed to find anything.
>         However "xl dmesg" does..?
>         I assume it is a "kernel thing" since the debian OS before it
>         displayed it. What I don't know is if it is important :)
>         I just wanted to air my concerns just in case..

I think this is OK. Xen takes over the the SVM functionality in hardware
so it is not exposed to dom0.

>         Tried using local disk and ISO rather than ATAoE but nothing
>         changed.

I think this was a good thing to try -- eliminate variables etc.

>         Tried disabling grsec and got a change in the qemu-dm log.
>         From the one line..
>
>                 qemu: terminating on signal 1 from pid 11465

This certainly can't be a good thing, I'm surprised things worked well
enough to get to hanging in the windows installer if qemu has been
killed.

>         To the following...

This looks much more normal. I take it things still didn't work in this
case? With the exact same failure mode?

You are using Xen 4.3.x which I think means this is using
"qemu-xen" (upstream qemu) rather than "qemu-xen-traditional" (old Xen
fork). Can you confirm? (ps should show you the process and the path
with make it clear). You can also force this using the
device_model_version directive in your cfg file, it might be worth
testing both explicitly.

Can you also please post the logs from "xl -vvv create irrview.cfg" and
any other logs relating to this domain from under /var/log/xen in case
one of them gives us a hint. Also a full "xl dmesg" and "dmesg" might
have something.

[...]
>         -------------- Start irrview.cfg ------------------
>         builder="hvm"
>         #bootloader="pygrub"
>         name = "irrigctrlview"
>         memory = 1024
>         vcpus = 1
>         #pae = 1
>         acpi = 1
>         #apic = 1
>         vif = [ 'ip=192.168.8.38, mac=00:16:3E:1C:83:81, bridge=br0']

Clutching a straw: Can you remove and spaces from within the quotes.

>         disk = [
>         'phy:/dev/etherd/e400.18,xvda,w',
>         'phy:/dev/etherd/e300.1,xvdc:cdrom,r'

Another thing to try: Use hda and hdc.