Re: [Xen-users] Status of USB in xl toolstack

Ian,
Thank you for the info.  Believe me, I am not a coder unfortunately,  If I submitted a patch everyone would laugh and ask if I was in Kindergarten.
If George does do it as passthrough, would that be like we can block them from the Dom0 and them use the xl like we do with pci-passthrough to attach them to the DomU?  I don't know how possible it is, but if there was one command that removed them from the Dom0 and then added to the DomU - having to reboot the host for blocking like with PCI makes it not worth the effort.
While I'm talking about effort on this, this isn't a high-priority, I just ran into a situation recently where it would have been nice to add a security dongle to a HVM DomU without having to reboot the beast.

Thanks
Shane

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 13:50 -0600, Shane Johnson wrote:
> I have hunted and can't find anything except information for last year
> stating that PVUSB isn't ready and has several major bugs.  Does
> anyone have any updated info on this or on how we can do a USB hotplug
> to the DomU with the xl toolstack?

AFAIK nobody is working on either upstreaming the PV USB drivers or on
the toolstack side of things.

George Dunlap (CCd) was planning to take another look at the USB support
in libxl, but I think that was for passthrough of USB devices to the
emulated USB controller of an HVM guest (but perhaps I am
misremembering?).

Assuming George isn't working on it then patches are always welcome (and
if George is then you guys can argue among yourselves about who gets to
do it ;-))

Ian.

--
Shane D. Johnson