Re: [Xen-users] Xentop CPU usage

> While checking out why our windows 2008 domU is 'slow' according to my boss,
> I stumbled upon something interesting:
> - The windows 2008 server (using GPLPV drivers 0.11.0.372) claims to have
> nearly no cpu usage, in multiple places like the taskmanager, process
> explorer etc I see only 5-10% cpu usage at max.
> - In xentop I see the win2008 domU constantly using 150-200% cpu?!
>
> Can someone explain this huge difference?

So basically you are saying that your task manager from domU shows
things are idle, but like what 1-5% ? And on the other hand xentop from
dom0 shows a much bigger consumption, like 150-200%. Correct ?

Measuring from dom0 should be more accurate than domU, no mistake about
that. However it seems your domU is using 2 VPUs, probable more or less
which you cant see in domU.

Try to record data from domU and dom0 as time series and compare them in
long run. xentop is a nice tool but things could be improved:
documentation, time series collection, etc. I put together a wrapper for
it, called xenrec using Perl5. Works on Linux.

Some pointers:

http://www.systemdatarecorder.org/recording/xenrec.html
http://systemdatarecorder.blogspot.fi/2014/04/xenrec-xen-hypervisor-recorder.html

http://www.systemdatarecorder.org/recording/hypervisors.html