Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-devel] Q&A question: Dynamic Network Throttling?

Russ Pavlicek <russell.pavlicek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can you suggest a particular HowTo or other document I can
> suggest to him as a reference?

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.ultimate-tc.html

http://shorewall.net/simple_traffic_shaping.html

http://shorewall.net/traffic_shaping.htm

The latter two are specifically for Shorewall setups, but may give some useful
information.

**BUT** there is a big limitation he needs to be aware of - you can only
traffic shape *egress* traffic on an interface. This means that shaping
outbound traffic is easy - you just setup a number of queues (one queue/HTB per
guest) on the physical interface.

I believe you can shape inbound traffic by using an IFB. You force all inbound
traffic to be routed via an IFB (a virtual interface) and can then setup
traffic shaping on the egress of the IFB. It's not something I've done, so I
can't say how to set it up.