Re: [Xen-users] Improving the performance of a Xen VM

On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 17:04 +0200, Stefan Vroom wrote:
> If I understand correctly PV drivers must be available on the
> operating system of the unprivileged domain (our operating system).

True.

>  If this is true we only have access to emulated devices which I
> currently use.

This will most likely be the performance bottleneck then I'm afraid.

>  The operating system itself has drivers for realtek8139, 8169, pcnet,
> e100 and e100 I believe. However I could not get all of the emulated
> drivers to work. Pcnet worked but as said the results aren't quite
> satisfying.

e1000 supposedly virtualises better than other NICs, so you might have
some luck with that.

I'd highly recommend you investigate writing some PV drivers for your
OS. Depending on licensing you can find examples in both Linux and
{Net,Free}BSD, as well as GPL drivers for Windows and (BSD) drivers in
the "minios" example PV OS shipped with Xen.

Ian.